Saturday, August 16, 2014

Bookshelf Simple Facelift

I have a love/hate relationship with yard sales.  I love finding great deals.  I hate driving from sale to sale in search of said deals.  I love seeing what other people consider "junk" that I see as a great future project.  I hate buying what other people consider "junk" and discovering only after I get it home that it is, in fact, junk.
 
Several weeks ago at a sale, I stumbled across this sad-looking little bookshelf that I decided had tons of hidden personality and good bone structure.  After paying full asking price for it - a whopping $2 - it sat in my garage for a couple more weeks.  I wish I had the thought to take a true before picture.  I knew I wanted it to go in my daughter's whimsical bedroom.  Unfortunately, before I could get down to the business of its makeover, I haphazardly threw on a solid coat of white spray paint and borrowed it for a work conference mom and I attended.

So, with no further ado, here is the new before that I had created:

Whaddya think?  Are you team-Bobby who said "Well, there goes a wasted two dollars"? Or are you team-Emily who said "Hellloooo, Gorgeous!"

Off came the layers (there were about three at this point) of paint, revealing first what I saw when I purchased and then a naked shelf waiting to be refurbished...
 
 
Caroline's room has an eclectic mix of textures, patterns, and colors which incorporate pink, yellow, green, and white.  So below are the colors I used:
 
 
I really wanted the letters on the sides to "pop" but I didn't want to do the shelf white again.  Not after the power-sanding battle I endured.  Here is a progression picture of my work...bonus points if you noticed the photo-bomb from Sparky!
Side note: yikes!  Time to pressure wash the driveway!

I am so happy with the way it turned out; it fits in perfectly to her room décor.  Caroline and I love it!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment