Monday, April 1, 2013

Much Ado About [Something]

Y'all, how did I not know about this until now?  I now realize that I have heard about this, but it's only recently that I was confronted full-on with this news: Much Ado About Nothing has been filmed as a latest adaptation and will be released on June 7th nationwide!

Joss Whedon directed this one and, honestly, I'm not sure how big a fan I am of Whedon's.  He filled this low-budget production with his band of brothers / familiar Whedon-land actors.  My only true excitement is to see Nathan Fillion on the big screen.  I have quite a crush on Richard Castle; however, here Fillion has been cast in a smaller role, likely and essentially reducing him to comic relief and scene-stealing.  Familiar territory to Fillion, but I believe he is capable of so much more.  (See also: what great scenes he has performed in this season's rejuvenating Castle episodes.) 
 
If you are not familiar at all with Much Ado About Nothing, here's the general plot summary: Leonato (Clark Gregg), the governor of Messina, is visited by his friend Don Pedro (Reed Diamond) who is returning from a victorious campaign against his rebellious brother Don John (Sean Maher). Accompanying Don Pedro are two of his officers: Benedick (Alexis Denisof) and Claudio (Fran Kranz). While in Messina, Claudio falls for Leonato’s daughter Hero (Jillian Morgese), while Benedick verbally spars with Beatrice (Amy Acker), the governor’s niece. The budding love between Claudio and Hero prompts Don Pedro to arrange with Leonato for a marriage.  In the days leading up to the ceremony, Don Pedro, with the help of Leonato, Claudio and Hero, attempts to sport with Benedick and Beatrice in an effort to trick the two into falling in love. Meanwhile, the villainous Don John, with the help of his allies: Conrade (Riki Lindhome) and Borachio (Spencer Treat Clark), plots against the happy couple, using his own form of trickery to try to destroy the marriage before it begins.  A series of comic and tragic events continue to keep the two couples from truly finding happiness, but then again perhaps love may prevail (source).

All this excitement has motivated me to do something I've pondered for a while.  I have changed my blog's tagline.  What do you think?  "To most it's nothing but to me it's life."  Get it?  To most it's nothing because the play which inspired my blog-pun is called Much Ado About Nothing, haha.  Also, Shakespeare, when penning this little story played upon the word "noting" (pronounced "nothing" but meaning idle gossip and meaningless diatribe).   That's kind of most scholars' ideas of Much Ado...it's a light-hearted romantic comedy.  You can make a big deal of its themes and character development.  It really is in there.  But it was more for enjoyment and entertainment.  Like my blog!

I am thinking I'll conjure up my first blog giveaway in celebration of this film's release. Details to come at a later date. But make sure you are following me on Bloglovin' or some other feed because you do not want to miss a moment!
logo source
Much Ado About Nothing is scheduled for release nationwide on June 7, 2013.  No compensation has been given for my endorsement of this film.


No comments:

Post a Comment