Friday, October 7, 2011

31 Days Of Change :: Day 7 Be Your Own Windkeeper

Did you ever watch Friends?  I have to tell you, I loved it.  I grew up with the show.  If you are really good at TV history and math, you will learn my true age here, but I'll tell ya anyway: I was a sophomore in high school when the show came on.  I have seen every single episode!  Here is a little blurb from one of my favorites:

(Ross enters the coffee shop and tells Rachel they have to go soon.  They apparently have a planned movie date.)

Rachel: Why do we always have to do everything according to your time table?
Ross: Actually, it's the movie theatre that has the time schedule. So you don't miss the beginning.
Rachel: No, see this isn't about the movie theatre. This is about you stealing my wind.
Monica: You go girl! I can't pull that off, can I?
Ross: Excuse me? Your... your... your wind?
Rachel: Yes, my wind. How do you expect me to grow if you won't let me blow?
Ross: You... you know I... I don't have a... have a problem with that.

All this time I have been blogging to you guys about two becoming one, having and keeping traditions, loving God more than your partner, etc.  But you also have to remain true to yourself and strive to be the best "you" you can be.  That's right, people, it's time to Be Your Own Windkeeper.

I am pretty sure that is an actual book, and I'm pretty sure it's feminist.  Though I do love to read, I'm not a feminist extreme.  I believe in equality of the genders, but only if you deserve it.  In a relationship, you have to help each other out, you have to give and take, but you also have to remain true to yourself.  This is assuming that you carefully selected a partner who would bring out the best -- not worst -- in yourself.

Bobby brings out the best in me.  He levels my quirks.  He calms my mind.  But he does not nor would he ever attempt to diminish them.  Bobby has changed me, sure.  He has made me want to be on time more often and more responsible with my money.  He has inspired me to always tell the truth even when painful and/or embarrassing.  But really, those were necessary changes.  As for my wind (i.e. my long stories I tell, my need to watch trashy TV, my desire to look at new construction houses even though we may never move) Bobby let's me blow.

Look at your current situation with your spouse, fiance, roommate, etc.  Are you changing for the better?  Great!  Are you still being true to yourself?  I hope so.  What your partner asks of you is that you give YOURSELF fully to him/her.  Your partner should never ask for a created image of yourself.  My challenge for you today is to do a little soul searching.  Is there something in yourself that needs improving?  Go for it.  You owe it to everyone in your life to keep restoring yourself to its glory.  What about your partner?  Does he or she have any unfinished business that would make better an already decent life?  You have a responsibility to support that endevor. 

Be your own windkeeper today.  And blow, wind, blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment