Saturday, May 15, 2010

Show Us Your Life - Favorite Books/Children's Books

So, Kelly's Korner wants to know what books we liked as a child, and since this is Much Ado, I figured you would like to know, too.  Actually, I have a hard time remembering one stand-out favorite as a child.  I just remember a love of books.  I went through all the Ramona Quimby books rather quickly and really enjoyed her.

Later on, I can remember having an affinity for Ann M Martin's The Babysitters' Club and for Francine Pascal's Sweet Vally High.  Actually, my middle name is Elizabeth, and since Elizabeth Wakefield was so beautiful and well-received by all of her peers I just couldn't see any other option: I would now be known as Elizabeth.  Lizzie to my closest circle.  That didn't happen.

When I finally found my literary footing, I discovered Shakespeare.  I like the comedies best, followed by the tragedies.  Despite my father majoring in history as a collegian, I could care less about Shakespeare's history plays.  My favorite from the bard:  The Merchant of Venice.  I don't know what it is, but I really like Antonio and I do sympathize with Shylock. 

If you couldn't tell, I even named my blog after a Shakespearean comedy, Much Ado About Nothing.  In the summer of '06 while I was pregnant with my first son, I re-read through several Shakespeare works.  Rob could have very easily been named Antonio, but we had deep reasons to give him the initials RC, and Romeo just wouldn't work for my son's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment